[OSM-talk] Using editors to indicate license preference.

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 15:50:44 GMT 2010

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 15:42, DavidD <thewinch at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/1/17 John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>:
>> 2010/1/18 Anthony <osm at inbox.org>:
>>> I didn't say it's invalid so much as it's redundant.
>>>
>>> All contributions are effectively PD anyway.
>>
>> That still isn't the point, people want to produce PD data that is
>> readily accessible to all, not PD data shrink wraped with another
>> license.
>
> OSM has masses of CC-BY-SA data and contributors. How will the PD
> people deal with that? Start replacing the existing CC-BY-SA data and
> reverting any edits to PD data by CC-BY-SA contributors?
>
> It doesn't look like this idea has had very much though behind it.
> It's pretty easy to see that two groups of people trying to reach the
> same goal with different licenses within the same database is going to
> cause friction.

The theory is that the data isn't copyrightable and therefore the
CC-BY-SA didn't apply in the first place since it is a copyright
license.

Although oddly the same people who make this claim aren't coming up
with non-free copyrighted map data for us to import, but why would
that be a problem since geodata isn't copyrightable?

Beats me.