[OSM-talk] How can I help?

Jean-Guilhem Cailton jgc at arkemie.com
Thu Jan 21 22:31:15 GMT 2010

Margie,

You can start with the current OSM map, which I have found to have the
most relevant information.

Simply using the name search, on the left, you can localize at least the
town, and zoom in to see if the streets have names. In Jacmel, for
example, the St Michel hospital was already there, all I had to do was
copy its coordinates in the spreadsheet. (I am new to OSM - one week, so
I don't know yet how you can most easily get coordinates from the map,
but if you need this, somebody else will certainly tell you. You can
click on data in the upper left menu, and see the properties of the
objects, which is already a way to get familiar with OSM tools.)

In the opposite case, there is no information at all except the name of
the town, and maybe an address that can't be localized. In this case,
like I said in the wiki, I just put approximate coordinates (e.g. from
the town). My understanding of OSM is that, like in Wikipedia, the
information gets corrected and improved when it becomes available.
Anyone that detects something wrong or imprecise for the first time can
then correct it himself.

Of course, this is a simplified explanation, but I think that in this
context, getting at least some info as quickly as possible is the most
important. I am also hoping that more people can join in.

Then it can be refined with anyway you can think of and imagine,
internet search, etc.

Beside this mailing-list, you can also get help or coordinate search in
a chat tool on the spreadsheet page (click on upper right arrow), and
the irc channel.

Thank you again,

Jean-Guilhem

>>> http://www.BaltimoreUrbanAg.org