[OSM-talk] [Fwd: Re: [CrisisMappers] FW: I NEED SUPPLIES NOW/ Location of Functioning Hospital : OSM PIPELINE SUGGESTED !]

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 09:30:16 GMT 2010

2010/1/22 Jean-Guilhem Cailton <jgc at arkemie.com>

>  So I'd say : if everybody is needing a central billboard where they can
> pin their localized notes themselves, why not let it be known that OSM can
> do it ? Especially if they already have it with them on their GPS or
> iPhones...
>
> And let people decide whether it is useful for them or not.

Yes and no. OSM is not just an open database where everything can be stored
for any purpose.
If you need a billboard with a map as background, we have already this type
of application. It's called openstreetbug ([1]). It's used at the moment to
pinpoint map errors but it could be easily renewed with another name or
temporarily extended to the usage you are looking for. It has to most simple
interface, you don't have to register, you can remove the notes when they
are solved but they are stored in a separate database.

Pieren

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Openstreetbug