[OSM-talk] Rendering street names across several ways

Igor Brejc igor.brejc at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 08:59:47 BST 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 9:44 AM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 1 July 2010 16:17, Roy Wallace <waldo000000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Rather, you want multiple ways to share a name. This does sound like a
> > job for the renderer to me.
>
> Or you can help things out by putting the name into a relation and
> adding the segments of way as members...

This results in even more complicated situation and even more work to
maintain such data. And even if do you follow this practice, there will
still be huge amounts of "legacy" data which do not.
I think if two streets share the same name and are adjacent to each other,
it is reasonable for renderers to assume it's the same street.

Igor