[OSM-talk] Osm.org Routing Demo

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 14:03:48 BST 2010

I made a demonstration of how the yournavigation.org website can be
embedded inside osm.org. Check it out:

http://nroets.dev.openstreetmap.org/demo/?lat=52.32796&lon=5.62046&zoom=15&layers=B000FTFT

As you can see, it is hidden inside '+' (the layers). There are two
reasons for this: Firstly, I did not want to make a new layout that
will not work on small screens. Secondly it will help to make the
computing power requirement more manageable. Once we understand user
preferences and load levels better, we can unhide it.

The computer it is running on (Errol) is 10 times larger than YOURS
and can keep everything in RAM. So it is possible to find the shortest
route from New York to California, in other words routing through the
massive TIGER network. However, when the server becomes too busy, it
will return partial routes (routes that start with a jump).

The data is the current planet file. Importing a new planet file takes
approximately 5 hours.

The YOURS javascript is quite powerful. You can have more than 2
points, i.e. a via point. You can drag them inside the panel to change
their order and you can drag them on the map to reposition them. This
demo has also helped to make YOURS more portable, so that it will be
easier to integrate it with other OpenLayers sites.

We are still looking for a volunteer to implement driving directions.
It is a simple, well defined job. Any computer language can be used.
It will be nice to have i18n capabilities but any product out there
can be used. It can also be independent of both YOURS and the current
Gosmore routing engine, so it can have a life of it's own. There is a
little bit of 2D geometry involved, but we will help with the
formulas.

Lambertus pointed out that some bicycles routes take strange detours
when the fastest option is chosen. I know what the problem is and I'll
fix it shortly.

Regards,
Nic