[OSM-talk] Osm.org Routing Demo

Lambertus osm at na1400.info
Fri Jul 2 19:10:15 BST 2010

Op 02-07-10 18:28, Richard Weait schreef:
> It may end up on the main page.  It depends.  Some say OSM "needs"
> routing on the front page to be "taken seriously".  Others say putting
> user services like routing on the front page commits too many OSM
> resources to users, rather than contributors.  In between, we've seen
> that each time another user-facing service appears for OSM,
> contributors make the data better so that it can take advantage of
> those services.  Rendering, specialty rendering, sibling-site routing,
> and error-checking sites are all examples of new services improving
> OSM data through feedback.

I think you're right Richard, I really do get a lot of comments from
people who use yournavigation.org (and I guess the other routing
providers as well) to debug the road network. Routing can also show how
mature our data is.

But I think your resources argument should be taken seriously, afterall
mapping should always be the priority. However, if Gosmore scales good
enough then routing would bring a real attribution to the main page.