[OSM-talk] correcting/helping inexperienced mappers

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 22:31:23 BST 2010

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> God no. Not until it distinguishes between bad dupes (highway-highway
>> at county lines, to use a US example) and OK dupes (highway-boundary).
>>

> Ok dupes do not exist (excepted for z). highway-boundary share the same
> nodes, if not the same ways.

Nope. We've been over this many times on the talk-us list, and there
have been enough examples of boundaries not actually following
highways, despite TIGER claiming they do, and highways being realigned
but the boundaries not following, that it's become clear that
boundaries and highways should not be joined. That's not even getting
into cases where one or both is badly aligned, and they appear to
cross when they really don't (and thus joining at the crossing makes
that much more work for someone fixing one or both). I've even seen
this with railroads, where TIGER disagreed with reality, and a
mindless bot went and joined them at the supposed crossings.