[OSM-talk] Rendering: nature_reserve and national_park

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Mon Jul 5 07:10:31 BST 2010

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 08:32:05PM +0200, yvecai wrote:
> Today, the polygons tagged with leisure=nature_reserve are rendered on
> the slippy map in the leisure layer, thus overlapping and hiding other
> landuse (like 'wood' for instance: http://osm.org/go/0CAfHX7).
> These polygons should be rendered in the misc_boundaries layer, along
> with boundary=national_park and with a similar transparency.
>
> Or maybe a tag boundary=nature_reserve would be more appropriate ?

The wiki describes a well-defined and well-thought tag for these:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dprotected_area

'boundary=' is MUCH better than 'leisure=' for that purpose, as:

1. it is a boundary
2. often nature reserve is not even open for any leisure

The 'protected_area' is better than 'national_park', as it may be used
for many similar, but not same kinds of protected area.

Unfortunately it is not rendered at all at our default Mapnik map.

I wish boundary=protected_area were rendered in Mapnik slippy-map and
boundary=national_park and leisure=nature_reserve would be, for
compatibility with current tagging, treated as 'boundary=protected_area,
protect_id=1' and 'boundary=protected_area, protect_id=4'

Greets,
        Jacek