[OSM-talk] Area-type objects and ways along its boundaries

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 16:18:13 BST 2010

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 4:07 PM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com>wrote:

> Also it makes border far more complicated (and thus even false) when
> glued to features: roads need to have more nodes than just for the
> position (maxspeed, turnrestrictions, crossing streets, ...) while
> borders are defined by a couple of border-points (usually less than
> our roads have).

Again, this depends on the region you are contributing. In my region, most
of the municipality borders are in fact glued to the middle of features like
roads, tracks or rivers. Those features can be added in OSM from different
sources (imagery, GPS, land registry). So adjusting the border with a more
accurate source requires to adjust two ways and many duplicated nodes when
it is far easier if the nodes are shared. This is IMHO also a good reason to
glue the boundary with the feature.

Pieren