[OSM-talk] Area-type objects and ways along its boundaries

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 21:16:49 BST 2010

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 9:51 PM, Nakor <nakor.osm at gmail.com> wrote:

> If the river/road/... is the actual boundary, shouldn't the same way be
> used for both instead of having duplicate ways? I've seen this done in some
> places (Ohio IIRC)

We had a lot of discussions about that. Finally, the answer (in my country)
depends on the length of the common feature/boundary. If it's a long shared
way (river, road, track), you might better split the way (at the beginning
and end of the boundary sharing the feature), add the boundary tags on the
single way and put this on the boundary relation. If the feature is followed
on a short distance, we find easier to just glue the nodes then we don't
have to split the feature for a short segment. Just make your life of
contributor easier as possible.

Pieren