[OSM-talk] Why quality is more important than routing speed

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Tue Jul 6 23:10:47 BST 2010

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 6:13 AM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2010/7/5 Anthony <osm at inbox.org>:
>
> > Okay.  How do you use speed limit tags when only 8% of the roads are
> tagged
> > with them?
>
> Actually it doesn't matter at all, how many percents of the planet are
> tagged with a certain tag, it is sufficient that the tags are present
> in the area you are interested in ;-).

Quite true.  But to use an anecdote, I've recently returned from road trip
where I was relying heavily on Android's navigation software, and I've found
that Google tends to greatly overestimate the actual speed of the less
traveled roads I decided to travel on.  I'm not sure if it's because they
don't have the speed limits for these roads at all and are using an overly
high estimate, because they're not adequately factoring in traffic lights,
or something else.

I'd say this is a great opportunity for OSM, actually.  The ability for me
to easily correct silly routes (and get instant gratification on those
corrections) is something I'm looking forward to.