[OSM-talk] Shared nodes between non-routable objects?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Jul 12 19:22:04 BST 2010

Hi,

Serge Wroclawski wrote:
> The question is: Is this okay?

> I don't think there's a right/wrong answer here; I'm just curious
> about people's opinions.

This question is discussed regularly. There are people who furiously
defend one or the other method but in fact both are in widespread use.

My personal take is to view it topologically: if the parking lot in your
example ends exactly where the building starts, so that if someone were
to move one of the building's nodes it would be desirable to have the
parking lot "adapt", then re-use the node.

If however the objects have been mapped at different times by different
people and nobody has really paid attention to the relation between the
two (i.e. there might just be a little grass strip or a fence between
building and parking lot), then don't use the same nodes because that
would be making a claim about the relation between the two which has no
basis.

Bye
Frederik