[OSM-talk] Tag name vs operator

Mon Jul 12 23:51:04 BST 2010

At 2010-07-12 14:31, John Smith wrote:
>On 13 July 2010 07:25, Brad Neuhauser <brad.neuhauser at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Side note: John, Do you seriously check health certificates before
> > tagging restaurants?
>
>I don't usually tag name, just operator, I just mentioned that to
>point out the name is easy to locate if people did want to tag it.

Is operator correct, though? Many well-known chains are franchises, where
the actual operator is a company or individual that is named on the
business license or health certificate.

To use a (hopefully) internationally-known chain of sandwich shops, if you
tag operator=Subway, you are saying that Subway operates the restaurant,
which is incorrect. Subway rents use of their brand name and collective
advertising for 12.5% of the gross sales, and may also act as a vendor for
some or all of the supplies, but the owner/operator of the restaurant is
someone else.