[OSM-talk] Tag name vs operator

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 19:13:11 BST 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 12:56 AM, Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Banks seem like a bit of a special case, since people expect the map
> to display only the name of the banking company. The name should be
> the name of the particular branch something like "HSBC Putney" or
> "Santander Hounslow" or whatever that branch is called, but I don't
> think many people do that and it's not really that important. The
> operator would be the name of the company in any case.

Is that okay if I modify the wiki page about 'bank' and re-introduce the tag
'name' for the branch name (or the company if it is unknown) and 'operator'
as an option ?
It is more complying with the older definition.

Also in the wiki about 'operator', we should clarify what to do in case the
name of the specific object is unknow but just the brand (like HSBC or
McDonald's) and what to do when the name and operator are the same.

Pieren