[OSM-talk] Suggestion to add SA clause to CT section 3, describing "free and open license"

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Jul 20 01:26:57 BST 2010

Hi,

Simon Ward wrote:
> Is it really that bad to ask that the contributor terms require any new
> licence to be in the same spirit as the ODbL + DbCL or other share alike
> licenses?

I'm not saying it is "bad", I'm just saying that nobody has ever made an
effort to find out what "spirit" most of the contributors would prefer;
the fact alone that they are willing to participate in a SA project does
not say anything.

So either get a proper backing for whatever spirit you want to cement
for all eternity - i.e. write to all contributors, explain to them what
PD, BY, BY-SA is and what the problems and advantages of each are, and
ask them what license they would like the project to be under, then
start relicensing the project under whatever was favoured by the
majority. (I think that an attribution-only ODbL variant has already
been launched or is at least in the making.)

Or, if you'd rather not do that now but go ahead with ODbL as proposed,
at least do not rule out that option forever. (And it is safe to assume
that any license change outside the corridor given by the CT is ruled
out forever because it would mean repeating what we have now.)

By at least theoretically allowing upgrades to any free and open
licenses, and not just share-alike licenses, you effectively silence
opposition from the PD people who would otherwise demand that a licence
change to PD *now* would at least have to be investigated (which it
hasn't been).

Bye
Frederik