[OSM-talk] renaming rendering layers

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Tue Jul 20 17:02:08 BST 2010

Should we continue to name the osm.org tile layers by the renderers
they use?  Is overloading the terms mapnik and osmarender as both a
tile layer, style file and rendering library confusing?

The German OSM site refers to the layers as Standard and Alternative,
which removes the confusion but is perhaps not as inspirational?
Cycle Map and NoName are better as functional descriptions, so we can
probably leave them alone.

I think we need better names for the current mapnik and osmarender
layers on OSM.org.

How about naming them after well-mapped, foundational places in OSM?
London-style, Berlin-style or Karsruhe-style?  Or how about CodeName
styles, like Burrowing Badger or Fleeting Glimpse?  While these have
nothing to do with the two general purpose styles currently on osm.org
at least they are not names of related projects that lead to potential
parsing problems.

Thoughts?