[OSM-talk] Update from Kosovo and Albania

jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 22 17:00:23 BST 2010

Hi,
Just got back online after my trip to Kosovo and Albania.

1. we signed a letter of unterstanding with the director of public
services in Prizren.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5229105&l=6779a29f22&id=523456582
We have permission to use the city map data
http://staging.mapwarper.net/maps/2391 and other maps. I have recieved
90mb of dxf and pdfs file to process. We have also founded flossk
prizren with 10 people, I gave them 2 of the gps devices that drlizau
sponsored. THanks drliz. We have still gotten no support from the
gpstogo even that we have asked many times.

2. I met with the vice mayor of shkoder, he said that we are ok to use
the map data with the street names and that It is public domain.#
http://staging.mapwarper.net/maps/2390 . We also met with Fred Zefi
who arranged the meeting. He is interested in having some of the
flossk members to come to shkoder and give some OSM training to some
of the computer guys from the orphanage he is running. They came for a
short visit to our Kick off party in shengjin, Albania.

3. We are in discusion with UNICEF about working together on some OSM
stuff. They are working on some mobile phone location tools that use
GSM tower triangulation. I think it would be very interesting to start
mapping the mobile phone towers at least in prishtina and the other
big cities where our maps are pretty complete.

4. We have still also the DXF maps of prishtina to do,
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Kosovo_Prishtina_Streets_Tracing

5. We have also the in your pocket maps of shkoder to process and have
permission to use this data :
http://www.inyourpocket.com/albania/shkodra

6. Also we have the huge amount of data from the TPGInc
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Albania_TPGInc_Import and Agim
Kompani http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/AlbanianFloodingCrisisCamp/AgimKompaniData
that has full coverage of albania.

So you can see that we have hundreds of hours of tracing work to do
and we need your help! please join the effort!
Also thanks to all the people who have been helping, you know who you are!

thanks,
mike
--
James Michael DuPont
Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova and Albania