[OSM-talk] mountain_pass=yes: combination with place=locality and rendering

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 16:24:02 BST 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 7:42 PM, Niccolo Rigacci <osm at rigacci.org> wrote:
> For bikers - at least in Italy Alps and Appennini mountains - a
> mountain pass along a road is often used as a meeting point or as
> a trip destination. So the use of place=locality is not so
> misleading.

Yep, I was thinking something similar. Sometimes a pass is a genuine
location/township (eg, Charlotte's Pass ski resort). Sometimes it's
just a mountain pass of no renown. Sometimes the situation is much
muddier, like Arthur's Pass in New Zealand, which is both a mountain
pass (of significant renown), a nearby township, and a national park.

Regarding ULFL's suggestions:
>a) We might want to improve rendering of mountain_pass=yes to appear in lower zoomlevels (e.g. z14 on both default mapnik / osmarender maps)

But we don't necessarily want every mountain pass to appear equally
prominently.

>b) We might want to discourage the use of place=locality to "enforce" rendering of otherwise "well known tags" that has "low render priority"

Yes, if there was a better way for the tagger to communicate that this
mountain pass is particularly worthy of viewing at lower zoom levels

So,
c) continue the importance=* debate, and suggest people use
importance=* rather than locality=* for some instances (and continue
to use locality=* where appropriate)

Steve