[OSM-talk] [Tagging] emergency=*

Brian Quinion openstreetmap at brian.quinion.co.uk
Thu Jul 29 19:00:33 BST 2010

>> Discussing this for a day on the Tagging list is not enough for you to make
>> this change.
>
> How much time should it take? I didn't really set a dead line but was
> trying to get comments on the idea...

A change that breaks every editor / renderer / search & data user ?

6 months minimum before you change any data IMO.  And that is a
minimum if lots of people seem to think it is a good idea.

Better yet - just don't change it.  This sort of change just isn't
worth the pain and hundreds of developer hours that could be better
spent on moving the project forward.  Yes - this sort of change might
make the tag heirachy prettier - but not enough to justify the work.

If you choose to use this new tag no-one will stop you - it won't
work, render or do anything but no-one will stop you.  The moment you
start destroying other peoples work though you are a vandal.

BTW - commenting on a message you just sent.
amenity=ambulance_station will work for search automatically,
emergency=ambulance_station won't because it isn't supported - lets
hope that isn't important to any of the users who's data you just
broke.

--
 Brian