[OSM-talk] A plea for meaning ful changeset comments

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 17:55:02 BST 2010

On 30 July 2010 18:07, Lennard <ldp at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>> Maybe in the long run, power editors like JOSM will allow you to keep
>> mutliple changesets open at the same time, switching between them by the
>> click of a button, or even allowing you so easily sort and filter edits
>> (all those with bus stations, in changeset 1, all others, in changeset
>> 2). But that's something for the (rather more distant I assume) future.
>
> JOSM has been able to keep multiple changesets open since sometime last
> year. Actually, this feature has me wishing that changesets wouldn't
> autoclose after only one hour.
>
> Coupled with the Upload Selection feature, it can already do everything
> you describe above.

That is useful of course, but it's still lacking compared to the
modern versioning systems where you usually clone (a part of) the
database and you can accumulate your changes locally and then "push"
them upstream.  What this means is that for example if you're mapping
offline for a couple of days, JOSM only lets you upload all the
changes wholesale after you're back online, you can not stack the
changesets and make a push, or even go back and add something to a
change that is already buried under new changes, and then go back to
the top of the stack, and push once your commit series is ready and
you're happy with it.

Cheers