[OSM-talk] A plea for meaning ful changeset comments

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Sat Jul 31 23:38:12 BST 2010

On Sun, 1 Aug 2010, Ed Avis wrote:
> Another way to look at it is that it's your own time you are saving.
> If another mapper has a question about your changes and they have to
> contact you and you need to reply, that uses a lot more time than a quick
> explanation attached to the change when it was uploaded.
>
> Certainly doing so takes a lot less time than posting messages on this
> list.

Mailing people who have just mapped something which I wish to query doesn't
take long. It may take a couple of weeks to get an answer - other mappers who
stray into my areas of interest are travelling and may not have internet
access regularly.
I've not found what I want to know from the changeset comments. I want to know
when the mapping happened (I may have newer knowledge) or how they actually
got some information I'd not been able to obtain. The mail process improves
our teamwork and gives me new hints on information gathering, or allows us to
politely approach a new mapper and offer advice.