[OSM-talk] transhumance routes

James Stewart j.k.stewart at ed.ac.uk
Thu Jun 3 14:34:23 BST 2010

In Spain there is a large network of historic transhumance routes (cañadas or Viás Pecuarias http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%ADa_pecuaria) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transhumance)  that we have started a discussion about how to tag. So far we are creating relations that link the various bits of path, track and road that make them up (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Vias_Pecuarias_de_España). However we need consensus on how to tag them, since they are an international feature - primarily, what to call them.
In England they are called  'drovers' roads' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drovers'_road) en Australia  'stock routes',  USA  'cattle trail', French 'chemin de transhumance'.

Any suggestions on what to call them. route= "transhumance" could be a more academic solution, route='livestock' a bit more agricultural.

In some countries transhumance is still a practice, so the routes are 'live'. In Spain they are historic, but many exist and are a point of controversy between landowners and ecologists/historical right of way people.

James

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.