[OSM-talk] Custom rendering of a small map

Gervase Markham gerv-gmane at gerv.net
Sat Jun 5 13:10:13 BST 2010

On 05/06/10 12:12, Jochen Topf wrote:
> Cloudmade uses OSM like everybody else under CC-BY-SA. They can't change that
> license, they can't restrict what you can do with it.

But if I use their stylesheets and their site to generate maps, they can
restrict what I can do with the resulting renderings, right?

http://cloudmade.com/terms_conditions :

"CloudMade grants you permission to use the CloudMade Site as set forth
in these Terms, provided that and for so long as (i) you use the
CloudMade Site solely for your personal use; (ii) except as expressly
permitted or indicated in these Terms, you do not download, reproduce,
redistribute, retransmit, publish, resell, distribute, publicly display
or otherwise exploit any portion of the CloudMade Site in any medium
without CloudMade's prior written authorization;..."

"(b) Any use by you of any of the CloudMade Materials and CloudMade Site
other than for your personal use is strictly prohibited. You agree not
to reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, trade, resell, distribute, or
exploit any portion of the CloudMade Site, use of the CloudMade Site,
access to the CloudMade Site, or Non-CloudMade Content obtained through
the CloudMade Site, for any purpose other than for your personal use."

Also, I object to any company which has terms which say "you must agree
to break the web":

"(k) You agree not to deep-link to the CloudMade Site and will promptly
remove any links that CloudMade finds objectionable in its sole discretion."

That page is utterly user-unfriendly. If it said at the top "Stuff You
Can Do" and "Stuff You Can't Do (Without Asking Us)", and had a couple
of short lists with common things, that would be much better.

Gerv