[OSM-talk] Tagging OSM objects with UUIDs

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 11:00:21 BST 2010

2010/6/7 Peter Körner <osm-lists at mazdermind.de>:
> John Smith schrieb:
>  > Currently I've been making a proposal for OSM to adopt an UUID tagging
>  > scheme so that third parties wishing to directly refer to OSM objects
>  > can do so without the current problems of using internal database
>  > reference IDs vanishing in future.
> I don't think that your uuid-tags will be more stable either

I think they do improve the situation - at least the mapper sees that
there is an external reference clued to a certain object.

 - they are
> subject to thousands of editors that will sometimes delete tags they
> don't know or that won't take over those tags to the ways when they
> create polys for them.

that's both not acceptable IMHO, espescially deleting tags the editor
doesn't know of is completely contradictory to the OSM principle of
free form tagging.

cheers,
Martin