[OSM-talk] Tagging OSM objects with UUIDs

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Mon Jun 7 11:05:28 BST 2010

John Smith wrote:
> XML is supposed to make data interchange between different databases
> easier, but once you start mixing datasets all bets are off, this has
> nothing to do with XML and everything to do with mixing datasets.
>
> As for your other point about UUIDs being useful, I think I agree with
> you, but then I have no idea what you mean by your next question.
>
>> >  Trying to 'create' a new type of unique ID would be pointless?

Actually it follows on from the 'mixing datasets' point. The UK has a well
defined ID for every property in the United Kingdom. I have a large set of that
data available for other purposes but I end up having to tag the unique property
id's with something else as the same numbers appear in other data sets. Adding
UUID references to the different datasets makes matching a whole of a lot easier.

UUID is an already well structured unique id so there is no point trying to
redesign it ... lets just use it ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL