[OSM-talk] Tagging OSM objects with UUIDs

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 03:55:59 BST 2010

On 8 June 2010 12:46, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
> I'm not the one who brought up free form text, you are.

This is why this is a proposal and why we are discussing things to
brain storm...

> Otherwise, we have no basis to maintain the link, and they might as well
> just link to the node.

That's the whole point of UUIDs, because they want to link to the
node, but linking using DB IDs is a bad idea, so I thought using an ID
that can be shifted from one object to another might be a better idea.
The ID is so you can link to the object without needing to worry about
finding the node if it's replaced by an area.

> How else are you going to describe what your object is?  I don't see a
> uuid:lamp_post in your list of examples.  I guess that would be,
> uuid:man_made?  I don't think many people are going to figure that out.  In
> fact, I can't even really figure it out.

If I had all the details nutted out this wouldn't still be a proposal :)

In your next email you suggest they are highway tags, so uuid:highway=*