[OSM-talk] Custom rendering of a small map

Dane Springmeyer blake at hailmail.net
Wed Jun 9 18:15:24 BST 2010

On Jun 9, 2010, at 12:44 AM, Gervase Markham wrote:

> On 05/06/10 10:09, Gervase Markham wrote:
>> My first effort involved an SVG export of the Mapnik image from the main
>> website. This is pretty good; the only problem is that the roads are
>> unnecessarily narrow and so the road names are small and hard to read.
>
> In the end, I went with this. I would have been willing to spare 30
> minutes to get a tool working to improve this, but I've already spent a
> lot more than that. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions :-)
>
> Gerv

Gerv, The Mapnik project currently leverages Cairo to output this SVG. There are a variety of limitations to this SVG output that make post-processing difficult, as you've noticed.

We have preliminary plans to write a custom SVG rendering backend for Mapnik in the future that will address things such as embedded fonts, selectable layers, etc.

But things such as the road widths and font sizes are always going to be controlled by the styles used to render. User configurability of styles sent to Mapnik (by non-programmers) is something that a current Google Summer of Code project is looking into. See:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2010/AcceptedProjects/EasyPrintableMaps

Dane