[OSM-talk] Potlatch and NearMap sourcing - what? why?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 02:01:49 BST 2010

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 6:58 PM, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
> trac called, it wants its job back.
>
> It is really really really unhelpful to bring up every little thing on the
> mailing lists rather than the proper bug-tracking system. Please don't. It
> doesn't mean your alleged bug gets fixed quicker - quite the opposite; it's
> impossible to keep track of what people want if it's scattered over 257
> mailing lists.

Yes and no. Raising an issue on a mailing list helps clarify whether
it's actually a bug, lets other users bring their perspectives to it
etc, and ultimately helps create a useful bug report, if appropriate.
You wouldn't like it if there were dozens of Trac bugs along the lines
of "this weird thing happened in Potlatch, not sure why though",
either.

In other words: I don't consider reporting an issue here to be
"reporting a bug" and expect it to get acted on. Sorry if it looked
like I did - I was still trying to work out what was going on.

> My guess is that you followed a link with &tileurl=whathaveyou.

Yep (as I just mentioned in the thread on talk-au), I launched it from
nearmap. And it looks like Potlatch remembers the setting even though
I launched it from openstreetmap.org the next time. Ben Last (Nearmap)
asked on the other list if there could be another parameter passed on
the URL which would let them specify what the source tag would be (ie,
"source=nearmap") rather than it always being computed from the tile
parameter.

Steve