[OSM-talk] POI Collection as a Competition

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 21:34:18 BST 2010

I posted this idea as an off-topic message in a thread about the post office
in talk-us, but I thought it might get more interest over here on talk at ...

What if we came up with a way to make POI collection a competition or game?
Think foursquare/gowalla's "checkins" mixed in with something like
http://www.poi-factory.com/. It could be generic enough to encompass any
sort of POI information (from park benches to trees to mailboxes). Each
"set" of data could have some sort of "expected information": collection
times and color might be two things expected for every mailbox, species and
approx_age might be expected things for every tree.

A user could join a particular "competition" (i.e. the "tree competition" or
"mailbox competition") and attempt to gather as much data as possible to get
points and fame (badges and maybe cool schwag ("I collected 10,000 park
benches and all I got was this lousy t-shirt") from OSM). If data is
incorrect, the user could move it or mark it as bad (removing fractional
points from the original poster for putting in bad data?).

A user could create a competition if they don't see one they want.

Maybe the competitions are based on a locale and/or time? "The person with
the most bus stops collected in Chicago over the next 10 days wins a prize."
or something.

Any thoughts? Critiques?