[OSM-talk] How do you tag a traffic signal that's also a motorway junction?

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Thu Jun 10 23:45:25 BST 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 4:10 PM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> highway=motorway_junction with ref=[number] is used whenever there's
> an exit/junction number, whether or not it's actually on a motorway.
> But there are some numbered "exits" that are right at traffic signals,
> which should be tagged highway=traffic_signals. Examples include
> http://alpsroads.net/roads/nj/gsp/n10.jpg in south New Jersey (this
> one has a small separated "ramp" but another one doesn't),
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:NY_9A_north_exit_5.jpg in New
> York City, and http://gailmommers.50megs.com/pictmission/ny-17-exit-98.htm
> in upstate New York. How should these be tagged?
> highway=motorway_junction;traffic_signals?

Well it can't be highway=motorway_junction because motorways don't
have level crossings, right?

This image illustrates your question perfectly.
http://alpsroads.net/roads/nj/gsp/n10.jpg  Thank you for including it.

If this were a motorway_junction (it isn't) the exit number would be
in the ref tag on the exit node, so go with that.

I would tag the ways as usual, highway="secondary" or whatever is
appropriate here.

highway="traffic_signals"
ref="10B"

If that is indeed a flare for the right turn to 657 Eastbound, I might
mark the first node of the flare with the ref="10B"