[OSM-talk] POI Collection as a Competition

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Fri Jun 11 00:04:22 BST 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 6:06 PM,  <simon at mungewell.org> wrote:

>> creating competition in this way can be disruptive to the community,
>> by encouraging people to work in isolation, amongst other things
>>

> Would an approach be to get a community of people working on a particular
> area and highlight the improvement made as a result?
>
> For example there has been talk on talk-ca of tagging bus-stops in 3
> Canadian cities, is there (could there be) a prize for being the 1st one
> 100% tagging?

The prize is better data.  And the joy of good work well done.
Offering prizes beyond recognition of excellent work [1] is a bad
idea.  If you reward trivial submissions, you get more trivial
submissions.

Let's forget the prizes for now, even if they could some how be turned
into a positive.  What about the mechanism?

How do we create a super easy way for folks with focused interests to
participate in OSM?  Say a super postbox click-adder.  How does that
work?  Does the data get submitted automatically to the API, and under
which user id?  Or should new postboxes be confirmed by a user from
another IP address first?

How do we make it super easy to have multi-linguists translate our
countries, states and cities?

This goes part way and shows which countries are translated in which
languages.

http://toolserver.org/~mazder/multilingual-country-list/

But each addition requires a session in JOSM or Potlatch.  Can we make
it easier with an editor / interface that works only with a single
tag?

The super amazing OSM Quick Check wants to fix your dead end streets.
The prototype creates a simple interface to work on a single issue,
dead end roads.

http://vatavia.net/mark/osmqc/CheckEnds.html

Can that idea be extended, use a check and recheck crowd strategy and
improve our data in an organized and useful way?

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Lolcat_of_awesomeness