[OSM-talk] Small village high detail low angle orthorectification

Ciprian Talaba cipriantalaba at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 15:50:05 BST 2010

Maybe Map Warper http://warper.geothings.net/ can help you.

--Ciprian

On Jun 13, 2010 4:50 PM, "Tristan Scott" <trs998 at gmail.com> wrote:

I happen to know a chap who has quite a lot of aerial imagery of
Norfolk villages.
Because he publishes the images, I cannot release the images to "the
public" or to other mappers, but I can use them myself to generate
mapping data.

Some of the uses I have in mind is to map landuse in villages and
missing roads, for villages where most of the roads have already been
gps-mapped, giving lots of known points to perform the rectification
from.

Now, the images are taken at quite a low angle, so I'll need to recify
them using software, ideally some sort of orthorecification thing in
JOSM, if such is availiable. The tranform will be a basic trapezoid
shape, but with a bottom probably half as long as the top (so the
image taken at 45 degrees) possibly with slightly bowed sides for any
barrel distorion in the lens. Obviously this will only work from items
on the flat plane, but handily that pretty much describes norfolk.

Does anyone have experience of this, who could point me in the
direction of the appropriate JOSM plugin, or external software? I have
Linux (Gentoo) and Windows XP on systems used for mapping.

This must be a fairly common issue for mappers, right?

Tristan Scott BSc(Hons)
Yare Valley Technical Services
07837 205829
01603 858441