[OSM-talk] Small village high detail low angle orthorectification

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 10:16:55 BST 2010

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 2:46 PM, Tristan Scott <trs998 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have experience of this, who could point me in the
> direction of the appropriate JOSM plugin, or external software? I have
> Linux (Gentoo) and Windows XP on systems used for mapping.
>
> This must be a fairly common issue for mappers, right?

It's not very common, but it's certainly something that's been done
before. Have a look at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Stratford-upon-Avon/Imagery

>From the sounds of your email the photos aren't going to be much use
though - they need to within 30° of the vertical really. Otherwise
it's just the same effect as looking at the photo and "mentally"
warping them (just making judgement calls as to roughly what goes
where). You'll notice the problems when you have 3+ overlapping
photos.

Also, try to avoid warping against OSM data, and especially don't
change OSM data to match any images that have been warped using the
same OSM data. It's very tempting and easy to do but you end up
chasing your own tail!

Cheers,
Andy