[OSM-talk] Routing on OSM maps on a Garmin device

निशांत / Nishant nishantsharma.in at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 12:42:38 BST 2010

Hi Maarten,

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Maarten Deen <mdeen at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> While I was at the far point of my trip and wanted to go home (about 275
> km), my Garmin was unable to calculate a route. It came up to 99% and then
> failed. This also happened in the morning on the way to the first waypoint:
> the Garmin made a dumb routing choice (for the locals: A40 Dutch border to
> A4 Engelskirchen via A57 and the center of Cologne) and I drove the route
> that I knew was best, and as soon as the device noticed that I didn't take
> the route it calculated, it calculated again and failed. A route of just
> 100 km.

I have observed that happening when there are ways which are not
connected properly. And hence, device can't find the route and fails
with "Routing Error". Its a data quality problem and not the device
issue.

If you can narrow down to the problem area on the map, there must be
one junction where two or more ways on the route are not connected.
Edit it on JOSM, recreate the map image using mkgmap and reload it
into the device for testing.

regards,
Nishant

--
How about some patent on "(a+b)2 = a2+2ab+b2". Choose free software!
http://www.nishants.net