[OSM-talk] Feature creating/proposing process not working for updates / changes (here farm/farmland)

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 15:47:37 BST 2010

Hi,

recently on the Italian ML arose the question, whether to use farm or farmland.

Checking the wiki popped up this recently (12 days) created page that
stated landuse=farmland to be obsoleted.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Farm&oldid=482025

the same user set
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Proposed_features/farmland&oldid=482030
to "Abandoned". Checking tagwatch Europe this feature is more than
40000 times in use so I think it cannot be described as abandoned.
(farm is actually 120.000 times in use). I tried to set the proposal
to active (as active it is according to tagwatch), but "Active" wasn't
recognized by the template so I changed it to Approved and added a
hint at Voting (voting by usage, not wiki-voting-process).

The is also a paragraph on the farm-page about the problem:
"Controversies
This tag had been misunderstood by some users (notably by many German
people) and used for tagging also farmyards. As a consequence the tag
farmland was adopted to denote tillage and pasture. At the moment both
farm and farmland are used, the former probable still for some
farmyards, the latter is the preset value in JOSM. See
Proposed_features/farmland. "

but actually this doesn't seem to dissolve itself automatically. Any ideas?

Cheers,
Martin