[OSM-talk] Q: Is OSM interested in neighborhood and regional boundaries for L.A.?

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 10:12:23 BST 2010

2010/6/16 Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com>:
> OSM does need to think more carefully about what exactly is in and out
> of scope.

The scope is IMHO the worldmap drawn with the knowledge of locals,
that's why I'd consider these informal neighbourhoods precious to our
data, even more as they are not "official" boundaries so OSM could
maybe become the main source for them.

I'm actually against too much discussion about relevancy of things to
be put into the db. It might be problematic to insert ephemeral stuff,
especially if it does not get maintained, but besides this I'd
personally like to see as much information as possible inserted.
Things (e.g. those areas, alternative names, ...) that only the locals
know of (but to them is commonly known), and that is not written in
other publications or even on the ground I'd consider the most
precious data to collect.

cheers,
Martin