[OSM-talk] Q: Is OSM interested in neighborhood and regional boundaries for L.A.?

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Wed Jun 16 15:23:12 BST 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Ben Welsh <ben.welsh at gmail.com> wrote:
> At the risk of over complicating things, let me give a little more info.
> LA County is a fragmented place with many different cities and
> unincorporated areas puzzled together. Our "neighborhoods" are in fact three
> different types of areas consolidated.
[ ... ]

Dear Ben,

It must have been great fun to participate in this project.  I see
that you and the Los Angeles Times understand the problems related to
crowd sourcing neighborhood boundaries perfectly.

See "You gotta stop is somewhere"
http://www.latimes.com/includes/projects/img/thumb-westside-300x100.png

Also this neighborhood map for Tarzana is wonderful.
http://projects.latimes.com/mapping-la/neighborhoods/comments/11501/

Your consultation with the community in Los Angeles (650
user-generated maps, 100 revisions) sounds like you have substantial
interest and perhaps even consensus locally.  I think that's
wonderful.  Presuming that the participation in your project is likely
to reduce border disagreements, I think it would be a nice addition to
OSM.

I notice that you publish your data as cc-nc-sa.  To include it in OSM
you would have to agree to allow OSM to publish it as cc-by-sa and
then ODbL after the license upgrade.  Of course you would lose the
explicit Los Angeles Times credit as well since OSM expects a
simplified "Maps and Data CCBYSA OpenStreetMap (and Contributors)"

And again, I think it is important to get feedback from others in the
Los Angeles OSM community.  Have a look over at talk-us.  They might
have something similar in the works.  I'm sure you find the conjecture
by all of us "seagulls" interesting but we all know that one active
local mapper on the ground is better than a self-important expert from
Toronto.  ;-)

Best regards,
Richard