[OSM-talk] WolframAlpha uses OpenStreetMap data

Tim McNamara paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz
Wed Jun 16 20:45:24 BST 2010

On 17 June 2010 03:47, Frank Sautter <openstreetmap at sautter.com> wrote:

> WolframAlpha uses OpenStreetMap data
> http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Berlin
>
> Is the license attribution they are using OK?

I think it depends on whether you can seperate the map that Wolfram|Alpha
have created from the rest of their content. If the map is seen
as separate from the rest of the page, then I think it's probably fine.
However, I think that it's a stretch to say that the single map component is
seperate from the rest of the result. The whole thing creates a single
creative work. Therefore, I think that every result that uses an OSM map
should be licenced under CC-BY-SA or similar:

*"Share Alike* — If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may
distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this
one" [1]

However, from the sounds of this discussion, the OSM community seems to
really be caring about the attribution requirement. If so, I think the group
should reduce its licencing requirements to CC-BY. This would reflect the
intention of what people are after in practice.

-Tim

[1] http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/