[OSM-talk] Stack Overflow-like site for geographic information systems

Matt Williams lists at milliams.com
Tue Jun 22 18:11:50 BST 2010

On 22 June 2010 17:44, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:
> On 22/06/10 17:35, Jean-Marc Liotier wrote:
>
>> You may have used questions and answers sites such as Stack Overflow
>> (http://stackoverflow.com/) or its siblings - I like them a lot. There
>> is a proposal for such a site dedicated to geographic information
>> systems - and it would be a very nice place for Openstreetmap support.
>> If you believe that this is a good idea, you may take a look at the
>> proposal and maybe vote for it at http://j.mp/cqyYn0
>
> I think it would be rather bad of us to try and take it over and use it
> for our own ends like that.
>
> Some of us have already been talking about setting up an OSM specific
> Q&A site like this which would be a much better fit than trying to use
> something that is intended to be more general.

Especially with things like Shapado (http://shapado.com and
http://gitorious.org/shapado) allowing you to set up our own site or
be hosted on the main Shapado site (http://shapado.com/groups/new) I
think that having a service which is more under our control is a good
idea. Though this is perhaps more appropriate for OSM specific
questions. Either way I think it would be a good idea to have a
question/answer site for OSM questions -- as a complement to the
osm-newbies list.

--
Matt Williams
http://milliams.com