[OSM-talk] Changed highway=*_link meaning?!

David Paleino dapal at debian.org
Wed Jun 23 07:52:11 BST 2010

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 22:27:27 -0400, Anthony wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 6:08 PM, David Paleino <dapal at debian.org> wrote:
>
> > Hello people,
> > does someone know the reasoning behind:
> >
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Template:Map_Features:highway&diff=490719&oldid=485601
> >
> > ?
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/tagging@openstreetmap.org/msg02653.html

Reading the whole thread up to that mail, it seems like that was a unilateral
decision made by Richard.
Can we *please* revert it, and discuss it also _here_? It's a change of some
relevance, it's not one of those discussions whether something is amenity=cafe
or amenity=bar.

Personally, I agree with
http://www.mail-archive.com/tagging@openstreetmap.org/msg02655.html , and I've
always mapped like that.

The change mad^Wproposed doesn't have a solid base, it seems done
just to make the renderer happy. While point 2) in Richard's mail seems the
correct solution to me.

Also, in http://www.mail-archive.com/tagging@openstreetmap.org/msg02634.html ,
Richard says

    "I think the wiki may be wrong"

and he changed it because:

    "This is most likely to avoid the situation where you get an ugly join
    between ways.".

Then again,

    "I've adopted the OS convention (everything to the lower level) locally,
    because it renders better.".

This is mapping for the rendering. You all know our mantra, right?

I'm personally very upset by this wiki hija^Wedit, it just confuses people (as
seen on talk-it@, which lead me to start this thread here), and hasn't been
properly discussed with the community before.

Richard, please don't take this as a personal attack :). I'm just against
mapping for the renderer, and your change is both poorly reasoned and a bit
"impractical" to fix (one should write a both analyzing all *_link and checking
what streets they connect to.. I have headaches only thinking at the code it
would require)

Kindly,
David

--