[OSM-talk] Changed highway=*_link meaning?!

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 11:56:29 BST 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 11:08 PM, David Paleino <dapal at debian.org> wrote:
> Hello people,
> does someone know the reasoning behind:
>
>  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Template:Map_Features:highway&diff=490719&oldid=485601
>
> ?
>
> It changed the meaning of almost all highway=*_link present in our database,
> and the comment given doesn't explain the reason. With this change, only
> highway=*_link connecting the same class of roads have the same meaning as
> before.

Don't worry, it hasn't actually changed the meaning of anything - it's
just that the wiki is now wrong. The easy way to fix the situation is
to correct the wiki - it's as straightforward as that.

Many of us refer to this kind of activity as "wikifiddling", or the
counter-productive deliberate insertion of false statements onto the
wiki in an attempt to influence the real world. It continues to be a
widespread problem, mainly derived from the use of the wiki as a
decision-making mechanism instead of (as it should be first and
foremost) a place to collaboratively document facts.

Cheers,
Andy