[OSM-talk] Changed highway=*_link meaning?!

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 15:35:27 BST 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 2:16 PM, James Livingston
<lists at sunsetutopia.com> wrote:

> You could argue that it's wikifiddling in an attempt to influence how people map, or that it's documenting how a lot of people already map. It's all a matter of perspective.

If it was "documenting how a lot of people map" then it would say
there were two ways of doing it. This is clearly not the case, since
it was just arbitrarily changed. It's not a "matter of perspective".

> I, and from what I see in use where I live quite a few other too, have always used xxx_link tags to join a highway=xxx with a higher one, because we think what was documented on the wiki (xxx_link joins highway=xxx with a lower one) is silly.

So you're saying there's two ways to do it. One has been established
since forever, and is what almost everyone does (*_link is the higher
of the two joined roads). The other way, which a small number of
people use specifically because they don't like how the main method
renders, is complex and completely daft (link is the lower of the two
joined roads, except for motorway links, which are higher, and trunk
links, which are only permitted between two roads of the same level).
Right.

I'd advise you started tagging using a more sensible, well established
scheme. And to realise that if you want to change the scheme, that's
an entirely different thing that can't be accomplished by changing the
wiki and then claiming it's valid.

Cheers,
Andy