[OSM-talk] tagging a trailhead

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Fri Jun 25 15:43:17 BST 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 9:28 AM, Stan Berka <stan.berka at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd really like to be able to mark (and hopefully rendered) trailhead nodes.
> Is there any tag used (or may be rendered) for this? How about node with
> highway = trailhead?

I do see 31 highway=trailhead nodes in the OSMDoc database from last year.
http://osmdoc.com/en/tag/highway/#values

There are only 29 in the data base currently.  Here is one.  Mapnik,
osmarender and OpenCycleMap don't seem to render highway=trailhead
nodes, but of course you can do that yourself.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/269837611

Well the trail itself should be mapped highway=* as appropriate.
Adding name="Something Trail" to the trail is helpful.

Based on this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trailhead

The trailhead would be implied by the junction of the trail and the
parking lot, or connecting highway or portage, etc. would it not?

The amenities that are available at the trailhead will vary from place
to place won't they?  How about tagging the individual amenities?

So map board and trail information would be
tourism=information
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:tourism%3Dinformation

Adding name="Something Trail Trailhead" to the tourism=information
node is probably not too wrong.

I suppose adding tourism=information to the highway=trailhead node
wouldn't be wrong either as long as there was information there.

Public toilets would be amenity=toilets

A water fountain would be amenity=drinking_water

Trash cans and recycling bins would be
amenity=waste_disposal
amenity=recycling