[OSM-talk] US to spend $8bn upgrading GPS constellation

Dirk-Lüder Kreie osm-list at deelkar.net
Sun Jun 27 03:48:09 BST 2010

Am 26.05.2010 13:41, schrieb Maarten Deen:
> On Wed, 26 May 2010 20:53:38 +1000, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> The United States is about to give the now nearly ubiquitous Global
>> Positioning System an $8 billion overhaul. The improvements, which
>> involve replacing each of the 24 aging GPS satellites, are estimated
>> to take over a decade to complete, and will see the triangulation
>> margin of error decrease from 20 feet to around 3 feet.
[...]
> Oh, and so good to hear that we are wast^H^H^H^Hspending € 3,4b (and more)
> on Galileo while GPS gets an upgrade to do exactly the same thing. Just
> repeat after me: there is no crisis, there is no crisis, there is no
> crisis.

Ye, I'm late, bit do you really think the US would be upgrading (instead
of just keeping the proven quality) if there wasn't Galileo as a competitor?
And compared to the Bank Bailout 3.4b is nothing. Compared to the 8b of
the USA, it's still cheap.
And yes, the Independence is necessary in my view. SA anyone?

--

Dirk-Lüder "Deelkar" Kreie
Bremen - 53.0901°N 8.7868°E