[OSM-talk] rural highway tagging: residential or track

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 13:24:12 BST 2010

On 28 June 2010 22:12, Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:
> track is more towards "you better have 4WD" and "you ought to have a
> reason to be using this" although these aren't hard rules.

You can use normal cars on what I'd consider tracks, but they are
usually a lot less maintained and are in national parks and such,
rather than for connecting farms etc...

> * meaning: does the government consider this a road, or a place you can
>  drive "off road".  The presence of any of speed limit signs,
>  maintenance by county highway dept, government snow plowing would mean
>  the government thinks it is a road.

In places that don't get snow they may use a grader to level the road
every so often to take out the corrugates...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grader
http://www.expedition360.com/australia_lessons_science/2001/07/corrugated_roads.html