[OSM-talk] talk Digest, Vol 70, Issue 76

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 08:29:42 BST 2010

On 29 June 2010 16:55, Mike Harris <mikh43 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> However, I would not use 'unclassified' for the above reason nor
> 'residential' if there were no houses and it was rural rather than  urban. I
> would normally go for track - but add sufficient further tags (tracktype=
> and/or surface=) to make the physical condition clearer. This also helps
> with the rendering - although we don't map fr the renderer do we ;-) ;-)

I did make a proposal last year to try and clarify the key/value, but
most people seem to think unclassified is good enough:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/highway:rural

In any case, this would be one of those regional differences you
pointed out, I wouldn't consider them to be tracks, as tracks are
something that exist in national parks, where as this example was a
through fare between rural roads, even if there are no houses, the
through fare bit is the important bit.