[OSM-talk] Tile caching (osm startpage)

Jean-Guilhem Cailton jgc at arkemie.com
Fri Mar 5 17:17:48 GMT 2010

Hi Bernhard, all,

Very interesting proposal.

I think people in a position to do so should give attentive
consideration to your situation, facing Internet infrastructure
limitations in a developing country. (Beside your personal situation and
dedication which would certainly deserve a "veteran's medal for OSM
cause" if such a thing existed - or does it exist yet ?).

I imagine that the largest number of potential users of OSM in the world
must be facing similar technical conditions (based on population numbers).

So your forced rest time in Phnom Penh could be an opportunity for OSM
to tune its offer for this majority of mankind.

Crisis situations could also benefit from progress in this area. For
example, I was in contact via irc last night with someone in Concepción,
Chile, who only had a very weak intermittent wifi connection to a remote
hot spot (and could not move because of curfew).

This could be an opportunity for osm start page and basic services
(MapOSMatic, Walking Papers, OpenStreetBugs, etc...) to improve
themselves if possible, for people who, on average, might not have an
understanding of technical problems as insightful as yours.

Kind regards,

Jean-Guilhem