[OSM-talk] [tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (amenity=ice_cream)

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Sat Mar 6 11:42:16 GMT 2010

Roy Wallace <waldo000000 at gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 12:34 AM, Stefano Pallicca <pallicca at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> [1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Ice_cream
>
> Use amenity=* for "useful and important facilities".
> Use shop=* for "a place selling a retail product or service"
>
> I therefore prefer shop=ice_cream over amenity=ice_cream.

The whole amenity/shop split is historical.

An ice cream shop (around me) is like a cafe that sells ice cream
instead of coffee.  You buy a cone and sit or stand there and eat it.

Now if there were a place that sold ice cream in quarts and no one
bought cones, and it was more of a retail store than a restaurant, that
would be different.

Ice cream shops are very important in cycling culture (perhaps more than
cyclists go to them) - they are a required item on good cycling maps.
This means buying cones, not quarts.

amenity=fast_food has a lot of baggage.  In the US, that means
factory-produced not-really-food of mediocre quality that is fast and
consistent.  A family ice cream shop is definitely not fast food even if
they can serve ice cream rapidly.

so I favor

  amenity=ice_cream   (which I've tagged one of)

or

  amenity=cafe cuisine=ice_cream

the problem is that if someone says "find me a cafe nearby", they don't
want an ice cream shop.