[OSM-talk] Mapzen POI Collector Offline editing (iPhone)

Oleg Shaniuk oshaniuk at cloudmade.com
Thu Mar 4 16:18:14 GMT 2010

Hello to all,

I'm developing mapping tool for iPhone - Mapzen POI Collector. At the
moment, I see pretty big amount of requests on edit the map in the offline
mode. This may lead to pretty big changes inside the application and change
it's behavior. So, I want to discuss side-effects here, before make a
decision on implementation. My main point of problem is possible conflicts
with data added offline and data, which added at the same time from
different client - so, when user will try to upload the changes, conflict
situation may occur. There is option to ignore such conflicts and use
existing in the database data, or overwrite with user-generated data - I
don't think we like to edit conflicts, not map ;) So, is there any ideas on
handling this case? Of course, there is option to create some merging stage
for uploading data and use it to resolve conflicts, but this leads to more
complicated user experience with application and I'd like to avoid any kind
of interaction except adding POIs and editing existing POIs. Maybe there is
some rules for auto-merging? Also, interesting, how to handle the case, when
POI added in the offline mode also been added by another mapper and - result
is two exactly the same places on the map (with distance of 2 meter away
each other) ?

As for me - I like the idea of mapping in real time, but understand, roaming
and possible signal loss puts some limits on this. It would be cool to see
your thoughts here.

--
RO