[OSM-talk] [OSM-dev] GSoC'10

Graham Jones grahamjones139 at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 11 22:16:54 GMT 2010

Hi,
I agree that improving documentation would be  a really useful contribution
to OSM, but Google are quite explicit that this is outside of the scope of
GSoC (
http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2010/faqs#doc_proposals
).

A project along the lines of 'context sensitive help in OSM editors' could
be a possibility though.  I have never worked on one of the main editors, so
I have no idea how hard this would be from that point of view.  The
Artifical Intelligence aspects are quite difficult in themselves though - it
would have to try to guess what you would like to do from what you have just
done - quite a challenge, but please add it to the list if you can manage to
describe it!

Regards

Graham.

On 11 March 2010 10:59, jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com <
jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com> wrote:

> lets put it in a different perspective :
>
> Make the documentation as part of the program!
>
> I would like to see for example a help system that is integrated to the
> wiki,
> Click on a tag, have it pull up the wiki entry, be able to add new unknown
> tags or rename them.
> We could even have an OWL Ontology created with a reasoning engine to
> specify rules for tagging.
>
> Really, the software should be so good that you dont need docs or videos.
>
> mike
>

> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 11:49 AM, Peteris Krisjanis <pecisk at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> > GSoc
>> > student pool is a very talented one - it would be good to use them for
>> more
>> > critical things. Of course, OSM unlike other projects is basically a
>> > collection of tools maintained by various people, so difficult to
>> achieve a
>> > consensus.
>> >>

>> Having one place of knowhow of mapping is quite critical for project
>> like OSM. And believe me, creating good documentation requires quite a
>> skill and isn't easiest job in IT world as we would like to see.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Peter.

Dr. Graham Jones
Hartlepool, UK